Pigot’s Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory
WIVENHOE, ALRESFORD, AND THORRINGTON
WIVENHOE, is a village and parish in the Colchester division of Lexden hundred, four miles south-east from Colchester, and about nine from Manningtree. It is agreeably situated on the acclivity and summit of a pleasant eminence, on the north side of the Colne, and is reckoned the harbour of Colchester for larger vessels than come up to that town; and is where large quantities of oysters are packed for exportation. It is, however, but a place of little trade when divested of its oyster fishery, and connexion and communication with its populous neighbour Colchester. The church is a large and rather handsome edifice: the living is in the gift of Nicholas Corsellis, Esq. the lord of the manor. The number of inhabitants in the parish, by the last census, was 1714.
ALRESFORD or ASHFORD, is a small village and parish in the hundred of Tendring, 2 miles south-east of Wivenhoe, containing 297 inhabitants.
THORRINGTON is 2 miles south-east from Alresford, in the same hundred, and 8 miles from Colchester. It is a village and parish, with a population, by the last returns, of 431 inhabitants.
POST OFFICE, WIVENHOE, James Pratt, Post Master. – Letters from London arrive (per mail cart) from COLCHESTER, every morning at half-past eight, and are despatched every evening at half-past six.
CARRIERS. To LONDON, Cridge & Felbrook, from Wivenhoe, every morning.
CONVEYANCE BY WATER. To LONDON, GAINSBOROUGH, and HULL, vessels, from the Quay, weekly, and occasionally oftener.
Transcribed by CG