The history of Wivenhoe can be traced back in 1086 when it was considered part of Robert Gernon’s land. By then, it was approximately 12 acres of pasture and meadow for sheep. In 1254, the St Mary the Virgin was installed in the high street. It is one of the main attractions.
Wivenhoe developed steadily as a port for Colchester until the 19th century because large ships could not navigate further up River Colne. Therefore, it developed into an important fishing, commerce and shipbuilding town. The railway station extended to the town by 1863.
By 1890, according to the local news, the population of Wivenhoe had grown to reach about 2000. Most of the people, engaged in fishing and shipbuilding. Since then, Wivenhoe Essex developed to become a major touristic attraction.