King George V died on 20th January, 1936, and a National Memorial Fund Committee set about raising funds to assist in the purchase of playing fields in Memory of the late King.
It was on 3rd November, 1936, that King George’s Fields Foundation was constituted by Trust Deed: ‘To promote and to assist in the establishment throughout the United Kingdom of playing fields for the use and enjoyment of the people every such playing field to be styled ‘King George’s Field and to be distinguished by heraldic panels or other appropriate tablet medallion or inscription commemorative of His Late majesty and of a design approved by the Administrative Council’.
The Interim Report of the King George’s Fields Foundation shows that by 1946, 471 such fields had been created.
The Official Opening of the King George V Playing Fields
(from a picture owned by Mrs C.G.Scofield)
That report also shows the cost of the Wivenhoe field to have been �6,945 to which cost the Wivenhoe Urban District Council received a grant of �875, the U.D.C. having signed a Deed of Dedication on 9th May, 1938.
This Deed requires that the land, comprising some 16 acres, be used for public recreation and for no other purpose.
The close association between the King George’s Fields Foundation and the National Playing Fields Association eventually led to the NPFA becoming Trustees of Wivenhoe’s King George’s Playing Field with Wivenhoe Town Council responsible for its maintenance and upkeep.
|Heraldic panels, being the official emblems of the National Memorial to King George V situated on either side of the official entrance of the King George Playing Field (now the exit to the public car park).
Scene of the Opening event on Wivenhoe’s King George’s Field on 28th July, 1938.
|This photograph (left) was taken c. 1927 at the playing fields, at a time when these fields were owned by Charles Scofield. The fields were primarily for grazing cattle but Charles used to invite customers and clients at weekends to take part in rabbit shooting. The playing fields were eventually bought, through compulsory purchase, against the wishes of the Scofield family.
The bus was sited at the top of the playing fields, backing on to De Vere Lane. The lower deck was used as a store for hay and straw for the cattle. The photo shows second from left Charles Gibson Scofield (Senior), his son Charles Scofield and his son’s wife, Eva.
Text and photo provided by Charles G. Scofield – Jan 2003