Section / SubjectAuthor:Notes:Added:BoatsElise – CK299Peter GreenFishing smack owned by ‘Friday’ Green.  Jun02R.Y. BritanniaVariousThe Royal Yacht Britannia and Capt Albert E. TurnerJuly02Craft built at Wivenhoe Shipyard Models of craft built at Wivenhoe’s upstream shipyard made by Bill Ellis.Nov02The Smack Yacht “VERA”Bill EllisAbout the Smack Yacht “VERA”, built at Wivenhoe in 1893 and in 2003 declared a Sailing Monument Jan03HMT ‘William Fall’Bill EllisA Strath Class Admiralty Trawler built in Wivenhoe 1918. Fitted with guns and depth charges.  Jan04Sailing Barge ‘Wyvenhoe’George LansdowneSome history and pictures of the sailing barge WYVENHOE, built Forrestt & Son, Wivenhoe, in 1898.Aug03The VolanteVariousThe history of the Volante, a smack yacht, built in Wivenhoe in 1870, and now in need of a new owner and restoration. July03The minesweeper ‘Beveland’Bill EllisAbout the Beveland, a minesweeper built at the Wivenhoe Shipyard in 1943 and operated out of Harwich with a Dutch crew, including a picture of the crew with their names.  Jan03The Lord NelsonBrian SinclairAbout the Jubilee Sailing Trust’s vessel, The Lord Nelson, built at Wivenhoe in 1985. Jan04The ‘El Fateh’Bill EllisAn steam stern paddle wheel river gunboat built at Wivenhoe in 1896 for Lord Kitchener’s Nile expedition.  Jan04The Tern and Cap Pilar Bill EllisAn article about the Tern, built at Wivenhoe and the Cap Pilar which ended her life at Wivenhoe after an around the world voyage.Mar04S.Y.Venetia Book being written about the VenetiaNov02The NonsuchPeter HillThe story of the Nonsuch which helped in the founding of the Hudson’s Bay CompanyAug07The S.Y.RosabellePeter Hill / Ken ScofieldThere were 5 Rosabelles in all, owned by Theodore Pim and all kept at Wivenhoe over a period of 54 years. Mar08Captain John Carter 1850 – 1910 and the boats he sailedJohn CarterAbout Captain John Carter 1850 – 1910 and the many boats he sailed and the races he won in the America’s Cup series. Sep08ChurchesHistory of St Monica’s RC ChurchPat PearceA history of St Monica’s Roman Catholic Church written to to commemorate the rebuilding of the West Boundary Wall, June 2003.Oct04St Mary’s ChurchPeter HillAn old photograph of St Mary’s Church, Wivenhoe Mar05Methodist Church HistoryGeoffrey KingA summary of the history of the Wivenhoe Methodist Church.  With pictures,Jan04Clubs and OrganisationsWivenhoe Girl Guides – 1941/42 Two photographs of Mrs Munson’s Girl Guides taken probably in the early 1940s.Jan03Wivenhoe Scouts and GuidesPeter HillA short history of the Wivenhoe Scout & Guide AssociationJan03Feedham Land Sale Alex PatersonMemories of Alex Paterson concerning the sale of land to build Jonathan Feedham CourtApril03Jonathan Feedham CharityPeter HillFrom original research by Olive WhaleyMay02Wivenhoe Rangers The history of Wivenhoe Rangers and their transformation into Wivenhoe Town Football Club are written up in this article.Sep02A Memory of Wivenhoe Rangers Noel ClarkA memory of a former player, Noel Clark, who left Wivenhoe in 1968 for Australia. Mar03Wivenhoe WI ChoirJeanne GreenwoodA piece about the WI Choir who formed in 1948 and won the Chelmsford Festival CupMar03Cricket 1945Roger BaconCricket in Wivenhoe in 1945, Mrs Loveless’s Bible Class and Denis Crompton.  Aug03Colne Social Club Tony ForsgateThe Colne Social Club is red-bricked building standing at the end of Park Road. Ever wondered about it?Feb03WAGA HistoryPhil FaucheuxPhil Faucheux’s memories of the founding and early days of Wivenhoe Allotments and Gardens AssociationSep05Wivenhoe Cricket ClubMark BrittonA history of Wivenhoe Cricket Club written by Mark BrittonSep02MiscellaneousA WW1 CertificateTony ForsgateExample of a certificate presented by Wivenhoe to those who fought in the first World War and returned. Feb031937 Coronation Programmefrom Tony ForsgateA copy of the programme for the Wivenhoe celebrations of the Coronation of King George VI to Queen Elizabeth in 1937Feb03The Miners Strike – 1984Photos of Sue MurrayDuring the lengthy Miners Strike of 1984, miners picketed Wivenhoe Port, importers of coal amongst other things.May03 ‘Laurel and Hardy’Peter Hill/Sue MurrayPictures of the pillar boxes outside the former Post Office on the corner of Queens Road and their removal in 1996.  July03War MemorialPeter HillAbout the Wivenhoe War MemorialMay 2005Wivenhoe’s entry in Pigot’sTom RobertsWivenhoe’s entry in Pigot’s Essex 1832-3 Trade DirectoryNov03Wivenhoe DamPaul BrownIt seems no-one really knows why there is a Wivenhoe near to Brisbane in Australia, but Paul and Maggie Brown visited the Wivenhoe Dam in September 2004 Sep04Wivenhoe in 1970s & 80sMark DuftonFascinating photographs of Wivenhoe in the late 1970s and early 1980s taken by Mark Dufton. Dec06About the VCH at the University of Essex In the autumn of 2001, the Victoria County History of Essex, based at the University of Essex, published Volume Ten which includes a section on Wivenhoe. It can be seen in the Local Studies Room at Colchester library, or Essex University Library.  PeopleHorace PittDarrin KeebleAbout Sergeant Horace William Pitt MM DCM who died in France on 31st March, 1918, aged 23, and was known as The Bandmaster. His name is one of those on the Wivenhoe War Memorial.Nov03About Jean CoeBarbara PatersonJean died in an accident at the Royal Ordnance factory during the war and her name is inscribed on Wivenhoe’ War Memorial.  Jun06Gordon GreenPeter HillGordon ran Barton Stores with his wife Pat during the latter part of the 20th century.Sep02Wivenhoe PeoplePeter GreenNotes about various Wivenhoe people from the 1800s Jun02The Harvey family The Harvey family were originally from St Osyth and Brightlingsea and it has been a familiar name in Wivenhoe too since the 1600s.  See also about Ray Harvey and his distant cousin Chris Goddard who have done considerable research into the Harvey family, with links to their sites – click hereSep02The Head familyPamela Callison Who remembers William Frank Head who was born in Wivenhoe in 1909? His brothers were John and Arthur Head, who were both killed in WW1 and whose names are recorded on the Wivenhoe War Memorial.   The Village BakeryTony ForsgateMemories of Grandfather Ernest Cracknell and the Village BakeryFeb03Arthur WorthingtonPeter HillIn 1959, Arthur Worthington provided the land on which the Scout & Guide Hall stands.May03John BarlowDarrin KeebleJohn Barlow, killed in action 23rd September, 1917 Nov02Jack RevellPeter HillAbout Jack Revell who died in 1999Dec02Rear-Admiral John Lee-Barber About Rear Admiral John Lee-Barber, a distinguished destroyer commander, who lived in Wivenhoe for 14 years and after whom Admiral’s Walk is named. Dec02Captain Albert TurnerPeter HillWivenhoe’s famous racing captain who skippered King George V’s racing yacht Britannia to over 200 wins.Oct07The WatshamsPeter HillA short article about the three generations of Watshams who left their mark on Wivenhoe during the 20th century. Dec02Wivenhoe Town Mayors A list of Wivenhoe Town Mayors from 1974Nov02WUDC Chairmen A list of the Chairmen of Wivenhoe Urban District Council from 1898Nov02PlacesGrist to the MillPat MarsdenThe history of the  Wivenhoe millAug 09Floods on the Quay Photographs provided by Richard and Stella SykesJan05The Quay ShelterPeter HillPictures of the old and new shelters on The QuayJan03KGV Playing FieldPeter HillAbout Wivenhoe’s King George V Playing Field, including some early photographs.Jan03WTC Logo A history of Wivenhoe Town Council’s Chairman’s Jewel which has become the Town Council’s logo. Jan03Wivenhoe Sand, Stone & Gravel Co  Peter NesslingEarly pictures of William Loveless’s business, Wivenhoe Sand Stone & Gravel Co LtdNov05Little WickMark PatersonSome history about Little Wick, a house in the High Street dating back to at least 1750.Aug04Conservation Area – HistoryPat MarsdenResearch by Pat Marsden into the origins of Wivenhoe’s Conservation Area. Aug06History of Wivenhoe Pubs To know more about the history of pubs in Wivenhoe, and there were 21 of them a hundred years ago, then click on the following link: Wivenhoe PostcardsJohn StewartViews of Wivenhoe in the early 1900s. Some postcards from John Stewart’s collection of Wivenhoe memorabilia.Sep05Shipwright’s ArmsPeter NesslingA photograph of the Shipwrights Arms, circa 1913Nov05Wivenhoe Hall Estate Copy of the plan of the Wivenhoe Hall EstateJan03The BrookPat MarsdenResearch into Wivenhoe BrookFeb07Wivenhoe HousePat Marsden

Wivenhoe House: A Tale of Two Lost 18th Century Mansions and the Sea-Captains who Built Them

May 12ShipbuildingThe Dry DockPeter Hill / Bill EllisStory and picture of the Dry Dock constructed in the upstream yard in 1889, extended in 1904 to make it the largest dry dock on the east coast of England. Demolished 1966.Dec02Wivenhoe ShipyardDon SmithHistory of Wivenhoe ShipyardSep02Wivenhoe Shipbuilders List of Shipbuilders who operated at the Upstream YardDec02Cook’s Shipyard – PhotosSue MurrayA few photos of Cook’s Shipyard taken by Sue Murray in the early 1960s.Aug06About Cook’s ShipyardBill Ellis‘Here Yesterday and Gone Tomorrow’ and article by Bill Ellis that tells the story of Cook’s Shipyard from Roman times.Jan03Mulberry HarboursBill EllisAbout the parts of the Mulberry Harbours which were built in Wivenhoe in 1944 to help with the Normandy Landings.Jan03Wivenhoe Shipyard in 1940Peter SimonsAn article by Peter Simons, recalling his memory as a Ship’s Draughtsman, joining Wivenhoe Shipyard in 1940. Reproduced from Wivenhoe News (December 2002) by kind permission of the Editor, Jane Cole.  Jan03